One People Law

Schedule a Consultation Today!

Helping Immigrants Obtain Permanence in the Country

A Green Card, officially called “Legal Permanent Residence (LPR),” allows individuals born in a foreign country to live and work in the United States permanently. To be eligible to obtain a Green Card in the United States, a person must fall into one of eight different categories.

At One People Law, our Green Card Lawyer in Miami, Florida can assist you with your Green Card application. The first step is to determine if you are eligible for a Green Card and which category applies to your circumstances. Green Card eligibility is based on the following categories:

  1. Family bond with a US citizen
  2. Employed as a skilled worker or other exceptional professional
  3. Specific job categories, including religious workers and members of the international media
  4. Previous granting of asylum or refugee status
  5. Victim of human trafficking or a victim of a crime
  6. Victim of abuse, according to specific standards


Each Green Card eligibility category has its own set of requirements that an applicant must meet to qualify.

Advantages of having a Green Card Lawyer

Applying for permanent legal residence in the United States is a long and tedious process. However, with the guidance of a Green Card attorney in Miami, the process can be made significantly easier and less stressful. At One People Law, we strive to ensure that the process goes smoothly for our clients. We also assist clients with removing conditions or renewing their Green Cards.

At One People Law, we are proud to offer legal assistance in English and Spanish. We can assist you with Green Card applications that are family-based, marriage-based, or employment-based, ensuring that language is never a barrier to meeting your legal needs.

Green card Attorney

If you or someone you know needs permanent residence to live, work, or remain in the United States, our Green Card lawyer in Florida, Hialeah, will help you with all the procedures to obtain your residency.

The Green Card Application Process

The process for obtaining a Green Card will vary depending on each individual’s circumstances and the category they are applying for, but the general process is essentially the same.

First, someone who is already a Permanent Resident or a US Citizen must file an immigrant petition on behalf of the family member as a sponsor. 

Next, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve the sponsor’s petition. If the beneficiary for permanent residence is eligible for a visa in their category, they must submit a Green Card application.

Finally, the beneficiary must submit biometrics, including fingerprints, photographs, and a signature. The applicant will be required to attend an interview.

If you need any help with these steps, our Green Card Attorney in Hialeah can assist you with whatever you need.

Green Card Based on Family Ties

U.S. citizens and other Green Card holders can sponsor family members to become legal permanent residents. The status of the sponsor and the relationship that the sponsor has with a potential Green Card candidate will determine how long it will take to obtain a Green Card. Preference categories are created based on these relationships.

Immediate relatives of US citizens have the shortest wait time for a Green Card. Our Green Card Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale defines “Immediate Relative” as:

The spouse of a US citizen;

Unmarried children under 21 years of age.

Parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years of age.

People regarded as “special immigrants” include religious workers, special immigrant juveniles, and international broadcasters.

Apply for a Green Card through Marriage

As the world becomes increasingly connected, the number of intercultural marriages is on the rise. American citizens who marry foreigners often wish for their spouses to be able to remain within the United States. At One People Law, our Green Card Attorney in Miami Gardens is dedicated to reuniting couples separated by borders. This process typically involves two steps:

First, the American citizen must file a petition for her spouse and show USCIS that their marriage is in good faith to establish a life together, not to grant an immigration benefit to the foreign person.

Second, the foreign person must establish eligibility for permanent residence, thus demonstrating that there is no reason for inadmissibility.

Following this, the government will carry out a thorough investigation. In addition to taking their fingerprints and checking their background, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will conduct an in-depth interview under oath with the couple.

Before applying for a marriage visa, be sure to consult an experienced Green Card Lawyer in Opa Locka.

Green Card and Divorce

Before granting a Green Card for marriage to an American citizen or permanent resident, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services must confirm that the marriage is bona fide. A bona fide marriage is one whose purpose is to establish a life together, not to obtain immigration benefits. But what happens if, after receiving a Green Card through marriage, the couple decides to divorce?

If the foreign person obtains permanent residency within the first two years of the marriage, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services assigns a status to the residency. This condition can be removed by filing a joint petition between 18 and 24 months after acquiring conditional residency. However, if the foreign person divorces and cannot file the joint petition, they must file a request for exemption from the joint petition requirement and prove that the marriage was not fraudulent.

IMPORTANT: The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services has become increasingly strict about examining the credibility of marriages. If there is a possibility of a divorce or separation, it is crucial to consult a knowledgeable Green Card Attorney in Opa Locka. They can guide you through the process and help you understand your legal options.

Obtaining Employment-Based Green Card

Known as “the land of opportunity,” the United States has historically been a place where people have moved for employment opportunities. However, obtaining a Green Card for a job can be difficult if a person already has a job offer when they intend to immigrate.

Some categories of immigrant work require the employer to certify to the Department of Labor that more willing, qualified, and available American workers are needed in the area to meet its work requirements and that immigrant workers brought by the job will not displace the American workers.

The most common ways to immigrate to the United States, based on employment, are the following:

  • Obtain a Green Card through a job offer.
  • Obtain a Green Card based on extraordinary ability.
  • Obtain a Green Card through a specialised job.

At One People Law, we work with employers and their employees to help them with employment-based immigration issues.

Contact Our Immigration Division

One People Law handles all types of immigration cases, including applications for Permanent Residency (Green Card). It will be a pleasure for our Green Card Attorney in Fort Lauderdale to assist you with your immigration needs.

Our experienced immigration attorney will strive to provide his clients with the best possible understanding of immigration law. At One People Law, we do just that. Our Green Card Lawyers in Miami Gardens use their legal knowledge to provide personalised legal expertise to help their clients achieve their family immigration and employment goals. As lawyers with extensive experience In both family-based Green Cards and employer-based Green Card immigration law, we put our expertise to work for you.

Reach out to us at (954) 727-5585 today. Our Orlando business visa attorneys are always available for you.

Our services are available in English, Haitian Creole, Spanish, and Portuguese.


Select your desired One People Law Location Below and fill out the form

Google Reviews
Skip to content